UK Lightning Map and Thunderstorm Detector | Live Tracker
UK Lightning Map
If the weather is a bit humid then just check below to see where the latest lightning strikes are happening.
The age of the Lightning strikes is shown by the colour coding in the top left hand corner of the map, where white is the newest (within 20 minutes) and red the oldest (2 hours ago) and the total number of strikes recorded are shown in the top right hand corner:(Courtesy of Blitzortung)
More about lightning
- At any point of time there are about 1800 thunderstorms.
- Every year, the Earth experiences an average of 25 million lightning strikes during some 100,000 thunderstorms. That’s more than a hundred lightning bolts per second.
- An average instance of lightning lasts about a quarter of a second and consists of 3-4 strikes.
- You can hear thunder from about 12 miles from the starting point.
- Lightning bolts travel at speeds of up to 60,000 miles per second.
- The average length of a single lightning bolt is 2-3 miles.
- A single lightning bolt travels through twisted paths in the air that can be as wide as one of your fingers or between six and ten miles.
- The temperature of a typical lightning bolt can reach 50,000 F degrees – that is 5 times greater than the temperature of the surface of the Sun.
- The energy contained in a single lightning strike can power a 100 Watt light bulb for 90 days.
- “Lightning never strikes twice” unfortunately is a myth. Lightning can strike the same location many times.
- Trees sometimes can take direct hits from lightning and not get burnt – the electricity passes over their wet surface and goes straight into the ground.
- Glass forms when lightning strikes into sandy soil. After a storm you can find strips of glass in the sand.
- If you have wet clothes on, lightning will do you less harm.
- The irrational fear of lightning is known as keraunophobia. The fear of thunder is termed brontophobia.
- There are from 100 to 1000 instances of ball lightning at the same time on Earth, but the chance you’ll see at least one in your lifetime is just 0.01%.
|High Temp:||12.2°C at 3:04 PM|
|Low Temp:||3.4°C at 1:59 AM|
|Rain Rate:||0.00 mm/hr @ 00:00 AM|
|UV High:||0.3 at 11:00 AM|
|Max Gust:||16.1 mph at 3:59 PM|
|Min Windchill:||2.3°C at 12:36 AM|
|High Temp:||13.7°C on 15/2|
|Low Temp:||-7.9°C< on 3/2|
|Wettest Day:||18.7 mm on 8/2|
|UV High:||1.8 on 9/1|
|Max Gust:||40.0 mph on 4/2|
|Min Windchill:||-11.0°C on 31/1|
|High Temp:||33.6°C on 19/7/2016|
|Low Temp:||-10.1°C on 30/1/2010|
|Wettest:||80.2 mm on 20/7/2007|
|UV High:||11.6 at 16/7/2017|
|Max Gust:||62.4 mph at 23/2/2017|
|Min Windchill:||-11.0°C at 31/1/2019|